Friday, February 15, 2008

HEART HEALTHY

Its the day after Valentine's and I know a lot of us spent the day eating chocolate, comfort foods, and drinking our favorite drinks. Of course there's NOTHING wrong with treating yourself or having someone treat you to what your heart desires. This year, I decided to treat myself and I enjoyed it thoroughly. I personally enjoyed fried chicken, mac-n-cheese, collard greens (which I'll talk more about tomorrow), corn, and unsweetened tea. And for dessert I enjoyed about 1/2 a palm full of dark chocolate with almonds. Yet, I woke up this morning thinking, "Wow, if I ate like this everyday, number one: I'd be sick. Number two: I would be unhappy with my body."  There I was searching for my bottle of water because I felt like I needed to flush my system of the grease, salt, butter, etc. 
Valentine's Day is over and we still need our HEARTS to work for us.
I want to offer you advice to get your body moving in the right direction to achieve healthy organs that will sustain your life. EVERYONE has a physical "thing" that they enjoy doing. It can be walking, vacuuming, dancing, jumping rope, swimming -- anything that you do for a continuous amount of time. If you're just starting out, you only have to do this exercise 2-3 days a week. You can incorporate it into your day and "trick" your mind into making your body do the work!!! Feel free to choose something that excites you such as walking, or dancing in the kitchen to your favorite CD. Enjoy creating a healthier life for yourself!
I am starting with a jumprope. I will incorporate it into my day for at least 10-15 min. continuously
I know this is something that may be challenging, but I am confident that we can do it! Please look at the TIPS listed below before you begin increasing your activity.
TIPS:
  • Calculate your MAXIMUM HEART RATE=( 220 - Your Age)
  • One should work out at 55-90% of Maximum Heart Rate.
  • Beginners should work at the low end and increase intensity as recommended
  • Calculate your TARGET HEART RATE=(Max. Heart Rate) x (55% - 90%)
  • Example: A 35 year old beginner has a 185 Max. Heart Rate [ 220-35(age)=185MHR]
  • Example: A 35 year old beginner has a 111 Target Heart Rate during exercise [185 x 60%=111THR during exercise]
FEEL FREE TO EMAIL ME TO ASK FOR PERSONAL ADVICE ON YOUR WORKOUTS OR WHERE YOUR TARGET HEART RATE SHOULD BE, OR EVEN THE SPECIFIC EXERCISES THAT WOULD BENEFIT YOU
**CONSULT YOUR PHYSICIAN BEFORE STARTING AN EXERCISE PROGRAM**
   

1 comment:

H in MIA said...

I love it! I have tried so many times to stay on track with eating healthy and exercise. It is NOT easy! I am looking forward to getting large doses of encouragement and motivation.